Branch Members, read all about it!
The program is designed to promote cohesion between AAUW national and affiliates and increase understanding and implementation of the strategic plan goals. National recognition allows AAUW National to acknowledge and celebrate affiliates that advance AAUW’s mission.
2018-2020 AAUW of Virginia PUBLIC POLICY PRIORITIES
- Equitable access and advancement in employment for women, including vigorous enforcement of employment anti-discrimination statutes and adoption of additional protections to advance gender pay equity
- Opposition to the use of public funds for nonpublic elementary and secondary education and to charter schools that do not adhere to the same civil rights and accountability standards required of other public schools
- Access to quality, affordable health care and family planning support, including individual choice in reproductive decisions and equity in women’s health research and treatment
- Freedom from violence and fear of violence, including bullying, hate crimes, sexual harassment, and human trafficking
- Greater availability of and access to a high standard of benefits and policies that promote work-life balance, including access to quality, affordable dependent care and paid family leave
- Increased support for programs that break through barriers for women and girls in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields
- Enforcement of and full access to civil and constitutional rights, including protection of voting rights. Ensure that legislative districts are fairly drawn and government processes are transparent.
- Enforcement of Title IX and all other civil rights laws pertaining to education
- Passage and ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment
Public Policy Resources
- AAUW Action Fund Website
- AAUW Public Policy Principles and Priorities
- Title IX
- Legal Advocacy Fund
- Get Out The Vote
- Political vs. Partisan Guide
- AAUW Action Fund Congressional Voting Record
AAUW does not endorse any candidate running for public office, nor any political party. However, AAUW members frequently provide expert and interested party testimony at legislative committee hearings, school board meetings, and other forums at which the issues being discussed are related to AAUW’s mission. AAUW members are also active in voter registration drives, voter education efforts, panels, committees, seminars, letter-writing campaigns, and virtually every other means by which citizens can participate in the democratic process.